Sunday, May 2, 2010

Social Web Final Reflection

At the beginning of the semester, I signed up for Edutopia so I could join a Social Studies social community. I read articles and comments by other participants, but did not “speak up” myself. I ended up switching my teaching area from Social Studies to Special Education and joined a Special Education group in Edutopia.

After some digging around on the site, I found some interesting articles that will help me in my new field. I recently read an article about the rise of autism and the challenges facing schools because of it. A member of the Special Education group I am a part of has an informative website that gives helpful tips on behavior plans for students with autism, effective classroom set ups, and written plans for classroom roles and responsibilities. From this site, there are links to lesson plans and other useful resources when working with students with autism.

I’ve introduced myself to the Special Education group and saw that it’s a friendly one. There are other teachers like me who are qualified in more than one field. I found this interesting; maybe they discovered (after getting their initial teaching certificate) that Special Education was their calling to.

Even though my involvement in this social community has been brief, I see it as being a valuable resource when I start my Special Education career next school year at Craig Elementary. I have a feeling I’m going to need all the resources I can get! :o)

Teacher Tia Edutopia

No comments:

Post a Comment